Monday 4 January 2010

Eggs à la Helen

oh man, I've been really slack around here.

This is going to be a quick one, but something I've been meaning to post for a while.

I grew up disliking eggs. And to be honest, I'm still pretty fussy with them. Poached or fried eggs are fine, but as soon as I see a bit of uncooked egg white or get a whiff of egg smell I feel like I'm going to hurl.

I am happy for Neil to cook me an eggs benedict every now and again (or a royale if I'm extra lucky!)... But I guess sometimes he would prefer to have his breakfast made for him and so I challenged him to teach me how to poach an egg and how to make a hollandaise sauce.

I won't bore you with the simple details of how this was achieved. I'd say that eggs are probably one of my fear points when it comes to cooking... I don't want to waste my time if I'm not convinced they will be perfect. Neil got me spinning the water and dropping the eggs in. It took a few goes but I got there in the end.

It took 2 goes with the hollandaise and we couldn't figure out why it was always splitting. Turns out that I'm just not that strong with the whisk! But we got there in the end...

And as many will tell you I am a big fan of mushrooms - Yum. So along with the parma ham, I included a few sauted wild mushrooms.

Egg Fear - DEFEATED.

Thanks Neil.

No comments:

Post a Comment